Facilitating the inclusion of students with migrant background by strengthening the inclusive and intercultural character of learning environments.
Migration is not a new phenomenon in Europe. Even though the humanitarian migration flows, which peaked in 2015, contributed to an acceleration of migration trends in recent years, societies have always been and will continue to be characterised by the movement and diversity of people. However, despite all current efforts across Europe to promote the integration of people from migrant backgrounds within their countries, these groups continue to lag behind native populations in many areas, including educational attainment, employment and social outcomes, due to different barriers.
Through TEACHmi, school teachers, educators and leaders, as well as policymakers will be significantly empowered to promote inclusive policies within the school context and structure and promote diversity and acceptance.
- Provide effective tools, teaching material and guidelines to teachers and school directors of multicultural classes;
- Facilitate the integration of students with migrant backgrounds, recently received within the education field of the host country and more specifically in secondary school level;
- Create inclusive school environments, developing intercultural competences and tolerance, combating discrimination and prejudices, strengthening the socio-economic mixture in education;
- Promote core European values, especially in relation to cultural diversity and acceptance.
- 3 Piloting Role models seminars, addressing at least 15 teachers and delivered through both theoretical and interactive activities;
- 2 Study visits (Belgium and Portugal), in order to facilitate the exchange of knowledge between experts;
- Workshops for teachers and students on strength-based learning and intercultural learning approach.
- Toolbox of Teaching Languages of Schooling
- E-Learning and Networking Platform for teachers/trainers, school leaders who wish to acquire new skills and competences to facilitate the inclusion of students with migrant backgrounds
- Curriculum and material for induction classes for students with migrant background
- Guide for assessment for newly arrived students with migrant background
- Project Newsletters
- Press release
- Improvement of teachers’ ability to respond to the needs of multicultural environments;
- Creation of a community of educators, strengthening intercultural exchanges and involving the parents of TCN students within the education of their children;
- Better integration of TCN students, not only in education, but also within the society of the host country, thanks to the acquisition of linguistic competences, creation of stronger links with the community and stronger awareness of such European core values as active citizenship.
- Development of local, national and European networks, in order to facilitate the integration and social inclusion of students with migrant backgrounds, establishing it as a priority on the political agenda.
- University of Piraeus – UNIPi (Greece, coordinator)
- Enoros Consulting Ltd (Cyprus)
- University of Coimbra – UC (Portugal)
- UC Leuven-Limburg – UCLL (Belgium)
- CESIE (Italy)
- College of pedagogy – Pleven (Bulgaria)