Folk Tale Work method to develop sets of self-help and coaching/training tools for young people and their helpers, advisers and coaches to think through their choices, their motivation, and design their life steps.
Storytelling and folk/fairy tales had been guiding people’s lives for generations in the past. And actually, they have a lot to say about how to start an adult life, how to navigate in-between separation from parents, study and work for young people. Working with folk tales is a good coaching method to work with all the different issues around the life start of young people.
Life start is always difficult, but it’s never been as difficult as now, when the future is completely uncertain because of climate change, world migration and economic crises. Sustainability has several meanings, not only ecological, but economic and social issues and goals (SDG-s) also consider part of it, and young adults have to navigate among all those different issues, like between Skylla and Charybdis. That means they have to be prepared for changes, challenges, – which are actually entrepreneurial skills – as well as “traditional” life start skills as carrier choice, separation, setting up an independent life, and setting and sticking to goals.
- To improve the preparedness of young people for carrier and life choices by developing their self-reflection, their resilience as well as having them actively make decisions and steps forward their future;
- To increase the acceptance of cultural diversities and also positive attitude towards sustainability;
- To develop sets of self-help and coaching / training tools for young people and their helpers, advisers and coaches to think through their choices, their motivation, and design their life steps.
- Setting up a group of developer experts as well as a Youth Board;
- Training events for young people and youth workers’ trainers;
- Multiplier events to engage the larger stakeholder community;
- Workshops on the project’s results for young people and youth workers.
- Framework and Screening Tool on Carrier Preparedness for counsellors;
- Six Folk Tale Boxes, containing tools for self-help and counsellor work;
- Training curriculum for youth workers.
- Developed life and carrier preparedness of young people involved in the project;
- Encouraged young people to work as mentors;
- Encouraged and empowered youth workers and youth mentors for facilitating the use of Folk Tale Boxes and the screening tool;
- Changed way of talking and thinking about nature as well as of other cultures.