As the end of the REFORM project approach, on the 25h of January 2021, CESIE organised an online event to promote and disseminate the results of the project, including its main outcome: the CC-Box, a collection of teaching and learning innovative methodologies for career counselling in schools, that have been tested, adapted and implemented in the partner countries.
The main topic of the conference was career counselling inside Italian schools, especially in light of the changes in the job market after the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the International Labour Organisation (ILO), the economic and labour crisis caused by COVID-19 could increase the unemployment of almost 25 million people across the world. The ILO identified some strategies to cope and limit the consequences. However, we want to stress the importance of the role of schools and teachers. In effect, teachers must be, now more than ever, a guide for their students, giving them advices, suggestions, information and helps in order for them to have a successful school career, as well as a future professional life. Educators must help students in knowing their needs, interests and ambitions, and, in being realistic, informing them on the existing education and work opportunities.
In order to deliver career counselling, educators must have counselling skills, and to empower them, the REFORM project developed the CC-Box.
The starting point of the elaboration of the CC-Box was an evaluation of students’ needs in different European countries. The box offers career counselling techniques aimed for three age groups of students in school (12-14, 14-16 and 16-18 y.o.). Their purpose is to encourage the development of the socio-emotional and professional sphere, relating to the ability to choose/operate decisions for their own future. In fact, the methodology wants to strengthen relational and interpersonal skills such as: listening, dialogue, collaboration, team work, necessary for the labour market.
The methodology was developed in response to the identification of three main obstacles in the school systems of partner countries:
1) The curricula do not have guiding lines on career counselling;
2) Teachers (not always) have the right skills to deliver career counselling;
3) Teachers do not have enough school hours to dedicate time to career counselling.
Inside the REFORM methodology you can find:
- Career counselling techniques and methods, tested in partner countries;
- Practical advices for teachers to deliver career counselling to young people;
- Suggestions for (individual and/or group) activities to do in class (best practices), categorized by age of the students and level of difficulty;
- A focus on interpersonal skills and on social-emotional sphere.
We had the pleasure to host two speakers – experts in career counselling: Maria Concetta Galuppo, career counsellor, and Dr Marzia Campione, psychotherapist and trainer for Per Esempio Onlus.
Ms. Galuppo talked about the instruments that the Italian government offers to young job-seekers and to companies that are looking for new resources, such as alternance school/work, apprenticeship contracts, or extracurricular internships with Garanzia Giovani or with the Fondazione Consulenti per il Lavoro.
Moreover, the career counsellor made an overview on the most requested professional figures in Sicily, after the pandemic: nurses and technician radiology (health sector) and farm workers (agriculture).
Finally, Dr Marzia Campione shared her experience as trainer of career counsellors for the project In Gioco and she gave useful advice for those approaching career counselling. Dr. Campione stressed the importance of helping young people to find the right motivation and work on their desires and ambitions.
About the project
REFORM – Reinforcing Educator’s Competences for Counselling and Motivation is cofunded by Erasmus+ programme: Key Action 2, Strategic Partnership.
- Coordinator: 119 Secondary School “Academician Mihail Arnaudov”(Bulgaria)
- Danmar Computers sp z o.o (Poland)
- Olympiaki epaideftiki kai symvouleftiki epe (Greece)
- Znam i Moga LTD (Bulgaria)
- CESIE (Italy)
- AGRUPAMENTO DE ESCOLAS JOSE ESTEVAO (Portugal)
- INSPECTORATUL SCOLAR JUDETEAN ARGES (Romania)
For further information:
Read the project description di REFORM.
Contact Giorgia Scuderi, email@example.com