Migrants, refugees and displaced children are often exposed to extreme psychosocial trauma due to the conditions under which they must leave their countries and adapt to a new reality. Schools can play a crucial role in promoting their well-being and social inclusion, but they need appropriate educational tools and practices to address the negative effects of trauma.
The ENABLE project aims to improve the capacity of primary and secondary schools to stimulate the social and emotional development of migrant, refugee and displaced children through culturally sensitive interventions designed to address psychosocial trauma. The project involves partners from five European countries – France, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Belgium – collecting best practices, consulting with teachers and school leaders, designing an online curriculum and piloting school actions.
The objectives of ENABLE project are:
- To improve the capacity of primary and secondary schools to effectively address cases of psychological trauma by developing mechanisms, protocols, and tools for first-level treatment and response;
- Build the capacity of primary and secondary education teachers to stimulate the social and emotional development of migrant, refugee or displaced children in the school environment;
- Raise awareness among educational institutions, stakeholders, and policymakers on the importance of strengthening their policy framework for treating psychosocial trauma.
The consortium is currently working to develop activities that will be implemented starting next school year. These will include training in schools for teachers and head of school, focused on psychosocial support for migrant children; workshops will also be offered to improve knowledge and skills. Finally, towards the end of the next school year, bilateral meetings will be held with schools and policymakers to propose tools and adopt the new school-based support policies, showing the results achieved.
If you are interested in learning more about the ENABLE project and would like to learn how you can help create more inclusive and empathetic school environments for migrant, refugee and displaced children, please visit our web site and follow us on our social channels.
Together we can make a difference in the lives of these children!
ENABLE is a project co-funded by the European Union through KA220-SCH – Cooperation partnerships in school education.
- PISTES SOLIDAIRES (France, coordinator)
- CESIE (Italy)
- SYMPLEXIS (Greece)
- PERIFERIAKI DIEFTHINSI PROTOVATHMIAS E DEFTEROVATHMIAS EKPEDEFSIS STEREAS ELLADAS (Greece)
- MAMAK ILCE NATIONAL EDUCATION MANAGER (Turkey)
- CANDIDE INTERNATIONAL (Belgium)
- SIRIUS POLICY NETWORK ON MIGRANT EDUCATION (Belgium)
For further information
Visit the page.